Subject: Re: [Leica] 28mm PC thoughts?
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <jgp@gilplant.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:15:35 -0400

I just picked one up - mint, from Rich Pinto, at a great price - and
I've found that it fits a very important niche in my kit. I bought it
for buildings and landscapes, and it excels at that, but oddly, I'm
adapting it to a certain kind of street shooting - no tripod,
pre-focus, and stalk -  NOT stealthy, more predatorial, though the
subjects mostly know me and expect to see me standing on the corner
with a camera, and they know I don't ask permission. I couldn't get
these shots with any other lens on a 35mm camera, nor could I get them
with a 4x5 on a tripod (I have to move around very quickly). However,
it has gotten to where I know I'm going to want a proper view camera
soon. OTOH, if all I need is a straight 28, then it has to be the
Summicron on the M or the 21-35 Vario-Elmar on the R; I would not want
the 28PC to be my only 28mm lens, and if I worked with the R system
exclusively I'd buy the Elmarit.

Gilbert