Subject: Re: [Leica] Full circle with Nikons
From: Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:42:29 -0400

Hi Mark:

I meant soap and water. :)

Did you take PFF personally?  I hope not because I value your help in
the past and was referring to the questionable utility of AF in macro
shooting.  It's there that I've found that the great Leica glass of the
60 and 100 more than make up for the lack of AF in Leica R lenses.

> So both the Leica macro 60 and 100 clearly out performed the Nikon 60
> and 105 micro nikkors?????

I don't know if one can judge from these 1-3 year old photos as jpgs,
but I can see the difference when I look at the slides.

Micro-Nikkor f2.8/55mm AIS
http://www.hemenway.com/For-Mark/Asiatic_Dayflower.jpg

Macro-Elmarit-R f2.8/60 3-cam, non ROM
http://www.hemenway.com/For-Mark/Day_Lily.jpg

Micro-Nikkor f2.8/105mm AIS
http://www.hemenway.com/For-Mark/On_the_Road_to_Horn_Pond.jpg

APO-Macro Elmarit-R f2.8/100 3-cam, non ROM
http://www.hemenway.com/For-Mark/100Macro-OfficePlant-Provia100F.jpg

I use many Nikkors on my DCS-460 Kodak/Nikon digital camera.  They are
fine in that function but I still don't consider them equals to the
Leica glass for use with film.

- --

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Jim Hemenway wrote:
> >
> > Mark:
> >
> > Have you ever used the APO-Macro 2.8/100 R lens?
> >
> > I switched from Nikon because of that lens and the 60mm.
> >
> > I don't give a Philadelphia Flying F*** for Canon or Nikon VR/AF and
> > their little motors in my macro shooting, It's the GLASS!
> >
> > Wash out your mouth! :)
> > --
> ><Snip>
>
> I'll be doing the same for the same reason and pass the Lavoris!
>
> The first glass i get with any SLR system is the macro glass in Leica's
> case the 60 and 100 are at the top of the heap of being inspiring in the
> R arsenal.
>
> How AF helps me in the interim or is involved with my work I'll let you
> all know in a year or so.
>
> So both the Leica macro 60 and 100 clearly out performed the Nikon 60
> and 105 micro nikkors?????
>
> Mark Rabiner
> Portland, Oregon USA
> http://www.rabinergroup.com