Subject: [Leica] R8 wanna-be owner questions
From: Tom Christiansen <tomchr@softhome.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:31:32 -0700

Folks,

Now that the R9 has been on the market for a while it almost seems like
people are willing to give you money for buying their new R8s... Maybe now
is a good time to move into the Leica R system.

I have a few questions:

1) I notice that some lenses are sold as 1 CAM, 2 CAM, and 3 CAM lenses.
Which ones work with the R8?

2) I have seen several claims that you loose some functionality when using
lenses without ROM contacts. Exactly what is communicated via those
contacts and which functionality do you loose by not having the ROM contacts?

3) Are the 1 CAM, 2 CAM, 3 CAM lenses really just M lenses which have been
retrofitted to fit the R system?

4) Is there any way to estimate the production date from the serial number
on the bodies?

5) I understand that some of the early production R8 bodies had some bugs
in them which were weeded out in the later production runs. Does anyone
know of an approximate date of production or serial number for the start of
the new, bug-free batches of R8's?

6) Any comments, concerns, user testimonials, common bugs on the camera or
associated lenses?

Thanks,

	Tom