Subject: Re: [Leica] Extreme weather
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:51:05 -0500

I've used my Canon EOS-3 and Canon P in minus 30 weather (Minnesota
during a warmer winter day).

I haven't taken my M7 through a winter yet but I can't imagine it's
any worse than a 40 year old Canon P.

Really, aside from lubrication (and most of the lube problems were
solved in the 1960s), the major problem for cameras in the cold is
keeping the batteries and LCD warm.  NiCads are notoriously bad in
the cold. Lithium is better. LCD screens become more sluggish (but
with a 1Ds you can always use the viewfinder). CCDs actually improve
with the cold, becoming less noisy.

Since the M7 sips batteries, I don't imagine there's a single problem
with using them in frigid areas.  The motor drive might be a whole
'nother issue.

Karen Nakamura

- --
Karen Nakamura