Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time"
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:36:54 -0400

Hi, Dan,

That's certainly true in motorsports.  Back in the 70's, when I used to go to
Mosport (F1, CanAm, F5000, Formula Atlantic - to watch a young Quebec phenom
by the name of Gilles Villeneuve), there were literally hundreds of good
access points to shoot from, even for non-press types like me.  We walked
around the track all day, shooting from every corner and straight.

Then, in the mid-80's I went to the Grand Prix in Montreal.  No vantage points
except approved "spectator areas".  And Toronto's Molson Indy race is even
worse - even the spectator areas have fence between you and the track - all
photos suck.

I know, I know, safety comes first...

cheers,
frank

Dan C wrote:

> You should also be aware that in the old days, sports venues were more
> accomodating to the photographers.   Have you ever seen those old baseball
> films that showed photographers with their Speed Graphics literally
> standing along the first baseline just a few feet from the action?

- --
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time")
Message from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (RE: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time")