Subject: Re: [Leica] SF20 Howto
From: Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:50:03 -0600

>John it looks like on this flash you can override it just as easy as on auto.
>Often not the case with many flashes which I end up using on non ttl.
>Why go auto when you can over ride easily on TTL?

Because Auto mode doesn't know the coverage angle of the lens. It's
set somewhere between 35mm and 50mm, IFIRC. So if you have a 28mm it
won't read enough and with 90mm it'll read too much.

>I think some cutting back on ambient light is part of the bargain
>because if you don't any flash at all would be over exposing. You've
>already exposed it right with no flash!

It makes sense but in reality isn't important. Because light operates
on a log scale, the incremental light provided by a fill flash at -2
really doesn't affect the midtones or highlights that much. It has
much more effect on the shadows.

Karen

- --
Karen Nakamura