Subject: [Leica] Decisive Moment?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:56:16 -0500

Two points: the first is that the observer's bias will transfer into
what is recorded.  Ted has always pointed out that you need to look
behind you, and most documentaries don't show the whole picture.  In
many journalistic settings that I have observed the coverage has not
portrayed what was really going on.  These would include race riots in
KC in the 60's to street protests about vender locations at the 96
Olympics.

The second point is that you can immerse yourself into a situation and
not have an observable impact on the world passing by.  You can so be a
part of the action that your motion doesn't affect what is going on.  An
example would be the crush at Mardi gras.  One more camera doesn't
change the scene.
Another situation would be the quintessential street photographer who
has a camera in hand walking down the street.  See something, turn,
shoot, and walk on.  The recorded activity is captured before any change
in behavior happens.  The last example would be the Sonny C. syndrome.
In his universe it is accepted that he has a camera and I don't think
the people in his neighborhood even record that he has a camera anymore.
I have that same situation at my daughter's school, I have a loaded
camera and I might take a picture.  After thirteen years it is just part
of life and for the most part behavior doesn't change unless I ask.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com