Subject: Re: [Leica] the eternal Q: which for a 2nd M camera?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 19:48:22 -0800

Richard F. Man asked:
Q: which for a 2nd M camera?

> Let me preface that the M7 is my first and only M camera. Right now it's
in
> NJ having its RF fixed (my fault, not the camera's). Another M7 for backup
> would be ideal, except for $$$. Barring that, I want at least a light
> meter, so the choices seem to be:
> - M6TTL
> - Hexar RF <-- I can get one for just over $400, but the vertical RF
> alignment is off :-( > - Bessa R2<<<<

Richard from experience!

Don't mix 'em! You'll drive yourself crazy within a few hours or maybe
minutes if you are working both at the same time.

Because the M7 is your first you've become accustomed to handling it and how
quickly it works.  As soon as you have another model M camera in hand where
you've got to set things, aperture or shutter speeds, you are going to start
screwing up... trust me been there and done it.

I normally work with three M's at the same time either all three slung on my
neck or two and one off the shoulder. I've been using 3 - M6's since '85 and
when the M7 came along I figured it was time to change and ordered three,
one arrived and the others with differnt viewfinders arrived a couple weeks
later.

Meanwhile I continued to use two M6's and the new M7, which much to my
surprise became the lead working camera, however nearly everytime I switched
to use an M6 for a different lens I screwed around setting the aperture ring
or shutter speed and missed a couple of interesting shots.

The cameras for all intent are identical feeling in the hands, but it's the
quickness of using the M7 compared to the M6 which began creating
frustrating moments and I was never so glad to have the other two hanging
off my neck to smooth out my shooting style.

If at all possible figure out a way to get another M7 as you'll never regret
it. Get a different M and you'll regret it!
ted