Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 45: Spanish hams
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 17:35:27 -0800

Nathan Wajsman  showed eats! :-)
Nathan's PAW 45: Spanish hams

Nathan said:
>>This week we go back to Spain. One of the things I love down there is of
> course the food; <<<<<

Oh dear me eating was one of the best times of the '92 Summer Olympics in
Barcelona, even if it was some time between 11pm and 3 a.m.! ;-) As you can
see the times, it was never what we might call "normal dinner hours" in
Canada but always after we'd filed our pictures on the wire.

The one meal that always blew me away was the Paella, absolutely incredible
even when it was served at 3 a.m and then we had to be alive and vertical
all gear in hand and on shoulders for 5 a.m. to catch the bus to the rowing
events 2 hours away! :-(

Trust me some days the best part of the day was "eating!" ;-) Or sleeping
when we could or where we could. ;-)

Interesting coverage Nathan. A small suggestion to avoid the greenie look.
See if you can find gelatin 30 magenta filters, Kodak make them in several
sizes, but about 3" square is what you're looking for. Then cut them to fit
your lens and it'll pretty well get rid of the green fluorescent look.

And if there's a mixture of lighting even with daylight don't worry about it
as the eye accepts "warm look" much easier than a sickly green. #0 magenta
is about the normal however I had a set of 20's also just in case.

Failing the gelatin filter material look for FLD glass filters and you're
away to the races anytime you shoot under fluorescent lighting, screw it
onto the lens and generally the shot comes out with clean non-green look.

I had a set of gelatin filters I cut to fit on the back of the lens to avoid
knocking them off or getting dirty or banged-up. However, if you're shooting
only a few frames I'd attach them to the front. Or if you're working off a
tripod you don't have to do anything but hold the filter by your finger tips
in front of the lens and shoot then replace it in the envelope. The  gelatin
are much cheaper than the glass and if the gelatin get marked you throw them
away and cut new ones.

The poor guy at the bar looks like he needs more than a morning coffee, a 30
Magenta might liven him up slightly! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 45: Spanish hams)