Subject: [Leica] Re: Coffee Makers
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:58:09 -0600

Tina:

>My Krupps coffee maker is dying and I'm in the market for a new one.  I
>want one that grinds the beans and will make really strong coffee.  What is
>the Leica of coffee-makers?

I'd grind the beans separately.  I'd argue that Zassenhaus is the Leica of
grinders.  Manual.  And pleasing.  I'm very happy with mine:

http://sweetmarias.com/prod.zas.shtml

(Model 169 DG Closed Hopper Walnut is what I got.  Ordered online from these
people.  Have since ordered more beans and am completely happy with their
service and quality.)

As for making the coffee, I use a French press.  You can buy them in all
sorts of sizes.  I believe press coffee tastes better than drip.  I'm also
into roasting my own beans.  Mmmmmm.  What's even better...French presses
are pretty darn cheap.  They're simple.  Not much can go wrong.  Well, my
wife nudged my previous one and it fell to the floor, breaking the glass.  I
got a plastic one as a "temporary" replacement.  Figure I'll go back to
glass when I don't have any young kids.

And here's the bean roaster I ordered from the same people:

http://sweetmarias.com/prod.freshroast.shtml

I've never been happier with my coffee since I started roasting my own.

Eric