Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: tv/tivo
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:26:35 -0500

2003-11-14-02:51:10 Adam Bridge:
> TiVo's run a version of Linux on relatively slow Intel processors.

Um, PowerPC, aren't they?  But slow (and thus inexpensive and very low
in heat dissipation), yes.  There isn't that much CPU grunt required
because the computational heavy lifting is done by MPEG encoder and
decoder chips, a DSP, stuff like that.

Oh, and I was wrong in an earlier post when I guessed that MPEG-1
encoding was used;  per some plausible sources I found, it would
appear to be 352x480 MPEG-2 (so, full NTSC vertical resolution but
halved horizontal resolution).

Message from Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: tv/tivo)