Subject: Re: [Leica] Help with a Luftwaffen lens
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 13:05:11 +0100 (MET)

> The one piece I need help with is an Elmar 5 cm f/3.5 lens that has the
> Luftwaffen Eigentum engraving on it.  I know that there are many forgeries
> of these out there and I am trying to authenticate this one.

What follows is a quote from:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomtiger/fakes.html#leica

- --- quote ---
Luftwaffe Eigentum Best known fake
Comes in both Gold and chrome, usually a Zorki 1 allthough Fed 1's have
been seen Usually Leica engraved. There was a Luftwaffe Leica (model III)
and the Luftwaffe Eigentum is embossed on the back of the camera. It was
also stamped onto the leather case. All of these have the FL and then a
number besides the regular serial number FL stands for "Flieger".
Sometimes the text on the fake is spelled wrong, Luftwaffen instead of
Luftwaffe. The German "Reichsadler" and the swastika are both engraved on
the top and the Lenscap (metal).
- --- end quote ---

I'm not sure if you or the lens spelled Luftwaffe wrong ... or maybe this
piece of information is wrong. If you live close to a large city, take it
in to be appraised.

Daniel