Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: tv/tivo
From: Jim Hemenway <Jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:33:54 -0500

Hi Eric:

This may effect TIVO use in a couple of years.

Off list because it's copyrighted.

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

SiliconValley.com

Posted on Tue, Nov. 04, 2003

FCC OKs 'broadcast flag' for digital TV

WASHINGTON (AP) - The government Tuesday approved an anti-piracy
mechanism that will make it harder for computer users to illegally
distribute digital TV programs on the Internet. The goal is to speed the
transition to higher quality digital broadcasts and ensure such
programming remains free.

Broadcasters and the movie industry had urged the Federal Communications
Commission to take such action, while consumer groups said it will force
some people to purchase new electronics.

Some people already share TV shows and movies online, though the
practice is limited by the speed of Internet connections -- it can take
many hours to transfer high-quality copies.

But as Internet connections get faster and broadcasters switch to much
clearer digital television, the movie and television industries fear
consumers will put high-quality copies of shows and films on the Web
that others can download for free. This would reduce the broadcasters'
ability to sell the shows for syndication or overseas.

The music industry saw CD sales fall as free music sharing proliferated
on the Internet. It has started to sue listeners who illegally
distribute songs online.

The five-member FCC voted unanimously to allow a ``broadcast flag'' to
be added to digital programming to block broader distribution on the
Internet, though the two Democrats on the panel expressed some
reservations. Republican FCC Chairman Michael Powell called it ``an
important step toward preserving the viability of free over-the-air
television.''

In its order, the FCC told makers of digital television receivers that
by July 1, 2005, their models must recognize the flag, an electronic
signal that broadcasters can embed in their programs.

The commission said the order applies only to electronics equipment that
can receive digital broadcast signals, not digital VCRs, DVD players and
personal computers without digital tuners.

``The FCC scored a big victory for consumers and the preservation of
high-value, over-the-air free broadcasting with its decision,'' said
Jack Valenti, president of the Motion Picture Association of America.

Viacom, parent company of the CBS television network, called the
decision a ``historic step forward for consumers.''

Consumer and advocacy groups reacted just as strongly against the decision.

``Having just given big media companies more control over what consumers
can see on their TV sets by lifting media ownership limits, the FCC has
now given these same companies more control over what users can do with
that content, leaving consumers as two-time losers,'' said Gigi Sohn,
president of Public Knowledge, a Washington-based advocacy group on
technology and copyright issues.

Congress already has told the TV industry to switch their broadcasts by
2007 to a digital format, which uses computer language, from the current
analog format, which uses radio signals sent as waves. After the switch
over, consumers who don't subscribe to a cable or satellite service
would need digital tuners, either inside a TV or in a set-top box.

FCC officials said the flag would not prevent consumers from using
existing or new DVD or VCR machines to make copies of TV programs. But
the signal is designed to make it more difficult for consumers to then
transfer those copies to the Internet and make them available to
potentially millions of others free of charge.

Chris Murray, legislative counsel for Consumers Union, the publisher of
Consumer Reports magazine, said consumers won't be able to use their old
VCRs and DVD players to play back programs recorded on newer machines
that recognize the broadcast flag.

``Technology always marches on, but that's normally because new devices
offer consumers better features and more flexibility to woo buyers in
the marketplace, not because government fiat has rendered a particular
technology obsolete,'' Murray said.

Under the FCC order, broadcasters will decide whether to add the flag to
their programs, including, if they want, news and public affairs shows.
Cable and satellite operators must also make sure that their systems
transmit the flag or use some other electronic signal to prevent mass
copying. The FCC plans to consider whether to allow cable and satellite
companies to encrypt all digital programs.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps said the decision did not go far enough
to safeguard viewers' privacy.

``Improper use of the technologies could arguably allow such things as
tracking personal information,'' Copps said. ``The broadcast flag should
be about protecting digital content, not about tracking Americans'
viewing habits.''

- ------

On the Net:

Federal Communications Commission: http://www.fcc.gov