Subject: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:52:56 -0600

Eric:

>> never believe what you read in the press! - ruben

>Yep, and stumble around in the dark.

Ruben has a valid point.  If the press as a whole has such low standards of
fact checking that it's gotten to the point that many people don't believe
what they read, how is that the readers' problem?

Whenever I know anything about a technical topic, I'll find all sorts of
errors whenever it is reported in the general press.  Peer-reviewed journals
seem to be pretty reliable.  But that's because peers are reviewing the
material instead of journalists.  So how am I supposed to trust the general
press to keep me accurately informed when I don't have the resources to vet
the article?  Bottom line...I don't.  So yes, unfortunately, we do stumble
around in the dark about topics of which we don't know.  I treat all news
items as editorial/opinion pieces.  In the end, that's what they are.

Eric

Replies: Reply from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain)
Message from =?windows-1252?Q?RUBEN_BL=C6DEL?= <ruben@rhodos.dk> (Re: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain)
Message from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: vuescan vs twain)