Subject: RE: [Leica] scanner/camera defect/artifact question
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 09:34:00 -0500

Simon,

To answer your question directly, with your scanner there is almost no
way to really clean your negatives without causing different damage.
But, if you very gently use a clean micro fiber cloth that will remove
the stuff you are talking about.  Gentle use of a cotton swab will also
work for small bits of junk.

Troubleshooting your lab 101.

The marks are most likely from the last step in the process before
drying.  If the lab is using roller transport equipment then the
replenishment rate on the last step is insufficient to keep that
solution fully in spec so the dryer is drying the crud on the film
before it can bead off.  The last solution is really cheap so kindly ask
them to up the rate.

If the lab is using dip and dunk then the same issue, they are not
properly mixing/replenishing the last solution (essentially photoflo).

Should the lab be a true custom lab then you will find it far easier to
get them to change as they are processing your film in tanks just like
you would at home.  Therefore the solution is what I recommended in my
first post.  Use fresh photoflo for each batch made with at least
de-ionized water preferably distilled.

Unless you are dealing with very committed people you are going to hear
that you are the only one with this problem please go away.  Another
variation is thank you so much please go away.  If otherwise they are a
good lab then explain the problem with several of the negatives that
they developed and fully explain that you are making large full bleed
prints and need that extra step.  Truly, the last solution is almost
water so incremental cost to them is almost nil.

Last, I will make a plea that you start developing your own B&W.
Really, one changing bag, one four reel tank, four Hewes reels, two 4-5
liter brown bottles, your choice of container for developer(see LUG
archives for source of 100ml brown reagent grade bottles), a kitchen
timer, two or three graduates, a plastic garment bag for film drying,
and less than one hour per batch.  B&W is very easy, gives you full
control, and lets you add a dimension of control to your photography
that you would not believe.  The only reason to not roll your own is you
have just purchased a spanky new digital camera... :(

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com