Subject: RE: [Leica] scanner/camera defect/artifact question
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:23:19 -0500

Simon,
Actually, it is probably somewhere in the processing that is causing the
blockage of light to your scanners sensor.  Almost always what the
camera can do is scratch or physically damages the film.

So, the most probably cause is that you squeegee the photoflo off your
negatives just before you dry them and this is the build up around the
sprocket holes.  Even if you do not squeegee then I would make sure you
are using fresh photoflo at the correct ratio of 1:200 with distilled
water.

Another cause could be in the developer as I sometimes get marks similar
to these when I am a little careless mixing Xtol as that developer seems
to be really sensitive to water quality.

Last, a scanner such as you have will find any defect in the film and
even if you remove all imperfections in the entire process you will
still find yourself chained to the clone tool.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com