Subject: Re: [Leica] scanner/camera defect/artifact question
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 13:11:51 -0500

Simon-
If you are on a budget, 'reagent grade' brown plastic bottles are not really
necessary- especially if you've priced the 1 liter Nalgene bottles, or even
the ones sold in the camera stores. Even the 'cheap' ones run about $4 or
more.
For years, I have used the brown bottles that the generic drugstore hydrogen
peroxide come in; I can actually go to some discount drugstores and buy the
one quart bottles of hydrogen peroxide for 97 cents, dump the hydrogen
peroxide, and keep the bottles!

I also had the local color lab save for me the 2.5 liter bottles in which
Kodak ships some of their C-41 chemicals; I use an ACP200 processor, and the
bottles are the exact size to fill the processor tanks, and even though they
are a milky white color, I have never had a problem with these, either.

I will say that the bottle should have the recycling symbol embossed on the
bottom, and the letter "HDPE"(High Density PolyEthylene) should be under the
symbol- this plastic makes a great barrier to oxygen, the real enemy of your
chemicals- and the color should not have too much to do with the keeping
quality unless you store your chemicals on a sunny windowsill, and I am sure
your darkroom is pretty dim to begin with!

You'll find that developing your own B&W is interesting, fun, and a great
learning experience.

Best of light to you,
Dan (wet, wrinkly fingers) Post