Subject: Re: [Leica] scanner/camera defect/artifact question
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:15:47 -0800

G'day Simon,
If you can wipe the "sludge" off the base  (shiny side) of the film, it's
definitely due to processing.... absolutely no question!!!!!!

I see Don Dory also suggested processing and I have no doubt that's what it
is. Why?

Because you can wipe it off! And that doesn't come from any place other than
chemicals during drying. Quite probably PhotoFlo solution used too long and
it's a residue build-up in the solution over time that shows up after
drying.

I process my own film and despite Kodak saying PhotoFlo can be used several
times I never have, well yes in the very beginning a half century ago I did.
But like you, found "funny marks" that could be wiped off. So it was end of
using PhotoFlo more than once.

And if one uses it more than once they're courting just what you see on your
negs. Besides PhotoFlo is cheap and film / processing isn't, so it's always
best to use new PhotoFlo with each new batch of processed film.

In commercial labs it's out of the question, unless it's a professional
photographer processing lab where they tailor processing routines to the
individual photographer. Obviously this type of personal processing is quite
expensive.

But I'd show them film with marks and see what they say, you might show them
something they didn't realize was happening. By the same token they might
offer to clean it off, my instinct would be "thanks but no thanks, I'll
clean my own."

As careful as we are here during processing, occasionally we find a "drying
mark." These are removed using Edwal "Anti-Stat Film Cleaner" to wipe clean.
This product or similar is carreid in most photo stores. Using a small
"Q-tip"ear cleaning cotton swab with the tinniest drop of solution,
carefully wipe the mark off, comes clean with one gentle wipe. It'll dry in
seconds as it's an alcohol base solution. Do not rub !!!!!!!

And if the lab suggests anything other than solution drying marks, I'd look
hard for a new lab!

I hope this helps. Just remember you don't need a liquid dripping swab and
always wipe gently, you may have to do it a couple of times and that's OK,
but be gentle.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant