Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic getting better
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 06:37:28 -0800

Former photo editor at the Oregonian, John White, told me once he
envisioned an era when news photographers go to scenes with a video
camera and sweep a scene with it, and it automatically sends back to
the editor the whole event. And then the photo editor goes over the
"sweep" of the scene and picks the perfect moment.

That is just so wrong on every single level I can think of that it's
hard to know where to start! Needless to say, he didn't last long,
because he obviously doesn't understand how news photographers (not to
mention cameras!) work.

On Dec 1, 2003, at 1:01 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> Wonder if the photog was wearing one of those Jim Natchwey backpacks
> transmitting what he's shooting right to the layout conference as he
> shoots each shot. Probably not.
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is
proof
against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man [person] in
everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to
investigation."
- --Herbert Spencer

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] National Geographic getting better)
Message from "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg> (Re: [Leica] National Geographic getting better)