Subject: [Leica] WAS: LEICA DIGILUX 2 NOW: Emotional purchase?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 07:37:22 -0800

Rei Shinozuka
Subject: Re: [Leica] The LEICA DIGILUX 2 is announced

> just out of curiosity, as a professional business owner/photographer,
> when you consider a new lens, do you do a return on investment analysis,
i.
> e., what jobs you can take with the new lens you could not without it, or
> how much more you could presumably charge for the extra quality, etc?  of
is
> it just an act of pure emotion?<<<<

Rei,
I'm probably one of the worst photographer-business-management people in the
world when it came to buying Leica gear. Never considered them an investment
in any of it. A few times a bit of "Oh yeah get it! Man look at that, gotta
have it came to play in the decision!" But rarely, because each time it was
because I knew right away it would help me do a better shoot.

My lens rationale usually was.... "is it fast, get it!" ;-) IE: the
aperture. And never an investment, as that was for those old guys with white
beards who sat around fondling their toys! :-)

On a few occasions practical purchase was involved as it was based on
allowing me to shoot in available light where others feared to go without
flash, the Noctilux for example. Or when the 280 2.8 came out I could shoot
sports inside where the 400/560 6.8's were useless.

There always was an element of emotion to each purchase, surely that's the
case with everyone who's purchased a new Leica bit, whatever it maybe. But I
don't think I purchased Leica gear just for the sake of getting it, my wife
would argue that one to the bone. :-)

Generally there was a "logical reason." ;-) Isn't there always? :-)

ted

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] The LEICA DIGILUX 2 is announced)
Message from Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com> (Re: [Leica] The LEICA DIGILUX 2 is announced)