Subject: Re: [Leica] Michiel's PAW 41
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 16:02:35 -0800

Michiel Fokkema showed and said:
> I had a few hours to spare at Dover when I was waiting for the ferry to
> Calais. Dover can have beautiful light. I think it is the same principal
> as the famous Dutch light. The sun is reflecting into the water and back
> to the clouds. This results in a very subtle filtered light.
> Anyhow, this man was looking out over the harbor.
>
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/michiel.fokkema/Fotografie/paw/41.htm
> I'm still not sure if I should cut out the left part of the image.<<<<

Hi Michael,
At first glance I nearly said why not cut the whole thing as it's such a
static shot I'd have said to myself.... file 13! Gone! :-(

But on second look I figured there was something here... maybe! As the shot
sits I wouldn't cut anything left or right as it's a strong horizontal
composition. I'd take fore ground off, roughly half the shadow area, in an
attempt to change the central horizon line and possibly break the static
look.

And I'd have used a polarizer to get whatever effect it might to enhance the
sky. Make it richer looking / better saturation maybe.

The next time bend your knees into a squat to change the perspective.
Certainly from what appears as a typical tourist type shot "oh look!" click!
Besides we've seen much better photography from you than what this implies.

It's not bad but it could've been a much better shot if you'd had your heart
into than doing a "tourist oh look." kind of picture.
ted