Subject: Re: [Leica] The joy of sharing
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 16:48:26 -0800

Nathan Wajsman said:
Subject: [Leica] The joy of sharing

> Exhibiting my pictures on the web and getting comments from a worldwide
audience of this group and others is great, but sometimes it is so nice to
please someone on an individual level. A couple of weeks ago I posted this
image from a bar in Seville:

> http://www.wajsmanphoto.com/2003_45alt5.jpg
>
> Well, last week I had it printed (my own Epsons are still in the boxes) in
a nice 25x35 cm size, and this week I took the print to Seville and gave it
to the gentleman. He was extremely pleased with it, and now I am welcomed in
this particular bar even more warmly than before. If you ask to take
someone's picture--give them a print!<<<

Nathan mon ami,
Right on!!! Giving a picture to someone who normally never gets them when
they know they've had their picture taken, in some cases gets you a friend
for a very long time. It's a great practice to give of our efforts as it can
make the difference in someone else's life for a mere pittance to us.

Over the years I've always sent or handed out pictures to friends and foe a
like because it can make a major difference in how well you get along the
next time you meet.

The worse thing any photographer can say is .... "I'll send you pictures and
then never do it!" :-( :-( :-(

This little foible can haunt you for the rest of your life, because the next
time you see the person you promised pictures and you didn't. The very first
thing they'll say is.... "OK where the hell are the pictures you said you
were going to send me 10 years ago?" Absolutely true!!!

They may not remember your name, but they sure as hell remember your face,
camera and where the hell are my pictures?

Now here's the way to get them off your back before it gets started.

First of all never never volunteer anything about sending pictures!
Paramount to your survival unless you absolutely mean you will. Like I mean
written in the blood of your heart! ;-) Now that's a serious promise you
better keep. ;-)

So. When the subject says, "will you send us a few pictures?" Your answer is
... "As you know we're so busy on the road shooting for several months and
it's difficult to remember everyone we photograph and I don't want to
disappoint you if I should forget."

"Here's my card and if you drop me a line or send an e-post with what the
picture is and where we are we'll send a print or two after we're back and
we have some down time."

Now that gets you off the hook most of the time because they either forget,
lose the card or don't remember what you told them to do. However, you did
say you'd send prints if "THEY CONTACTED YOU!" And that's fair ball because
you didn't say you wouldn't nor did you outright say you would.

Trust me it's worked literally hundreds of times for me over the years once
I learned that little trick.

By the same token it's nice to make someone feel good when you hand them a
print, particularly when it's given unsolicited and a surprise. Besides it's
nice to have a body compliment you on how good you are as a photographer
when you know the comment is genuine appreciation.

Good on you Nathan it'll pay off for a long time to come.
ted