Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW? - Three Informal Portraits
From: Barney Quinn <barney.quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 12:39:18 -0500

Ted,

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at my pictures and to
critique them in detail. You are right about the angle. It was too
high. It's inattention and a bad habit I got into from years of looking
down into a rollei, and it is computnded by the fact that my bad hip
prefers to work standing up. As i told Phong, next time I am going to
sit in a chair, too. That should help with that.

If I understand what you are saying I really want a line drawn through
the subject's shoulder's to make something like a 45 degree angle with
the camera as opposed to a head on 90 degree angle. I will work on that.

I agree about the background. My intention was to shoot wide open. But,
I also have a problem with the "inner game of photography" I need to
solve. Mostly I take pictures of things. The reason I do this is that I
get nervous and confused when I have to work with people and I forget
all kinds of things, including to look through the viewfinder to see
what I am really seeing. The fact that i meant to put the camera on f
2.8 doesn't mean that, in the "heat of battle" I did. It just means
that I thought about it. I am also finding that f2/8 with my digital
camera doesn't give me the same shallow depth of field id does with
35mm.

Again, Ted, thank you for taking the time to look. Comming from you I
consider that a fine compliment.

Barney