Subject: Re: [Leica] Christmas Fest Music
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 14:38:02 -0500

Sonny,

Thank you very much for the e-mail you sent me yesterday. I love these
photo's. Ted's right, the light on the picture of the violinist is just
wonderful. I like the pciture of the cellist, too. My first reaction
doesn't have to do with the quality. It's how the player is to be able to
withstand a side shot holding the cello! Many of us don't have that much
air between the back of the cello and our belt line! :-) I really like the
shot of the party. It makes me want to walk right in and join in!

These are available light? How do you keep the white balance under control?
Hours with photo shop? One of the nice things about my new-to-me digital
camera is that it keeps  a record of the exposure. The cello shots I posted
were done at f2.8 at 1/125. I used bounce flash. It's good that they don't
look like flash pictures, but it also bought me a packet of trouble.
Everyone has gifts to offer. Mine isn't flash. Bounce flash is how I ended
up with the background lit at the same level as the foreground, which takes
this right back to Phong's comments. I have no idea how to solve this
particular lighting problem.

I can imagine being good enough at something to do it without not having to
think about it. Even I know which string my bow is on most of the time!
Used to drive a stick myself. I can understand being able to drive it with
out thinking about it. But, I can't imagine driving one wit blown out knees
without thinking about the pain. I admire your courage.

Barney