Subject: Re: [Leica] The fine line between art and pornography
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:41:08 +0100

(delayed reaction, having been in Seville most of the week and too busy to jump
in)

I am with Daniel here, and for once I too have to disagree with Ted and Tina, a
rare occasion. At least the images had an effect on us--many of us were disgusted,
some of us analyzed the meaning of the images, etc.--an entirely valid discussion
on a photography list, I think!

As for the "Mom test"--I did take my Mom to a Mapplethorpe exhibit in Denmark
several years ago. Don't assume that just because your mother is older than you,
she is less open-minded. My Mom appreciated the technical/artistic quality of the
images, although she was put off by the homo-erotic contect, which is more or less
my own reaction to Mapplethorpe's work.

Nathan