Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm 4.0 for CL question
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:29:03 -0800

Daniel Ridings wrote:

> > But at that lower price bracket I'd go with the Elmar C for the CL than
> > the Tele-Elmarit any day.
> >
> > Mark Rabiner
>
> I'm just curious. I've never owned a Tele-Elmarit but in the seventies I
> worked at Jefferson Camera Shop in St. Louis and would take one out on the
> streets in front of the store and just play around with it (when we didn't
> have customers). I remember thinking the results were really impressive.
>
> Mind you, I probably played around with the same one all the time (the
> display one). I always bought the lenses I had played around with (except
> for the 90mm Summicron ... that was a mistake). Maybe there was some
> variation from unit to unit?
>
> Daniel
> --

Variation from unit to unit for a number of varied reasons with
variations in the variations is what you'll find in our LUG digital
repository. I wasn't wale blubber it was something else. Did not have
peanuts on it's breath. But like Xtol when it's expired you can't tell
just by looking at it. It could have a thin veiled coating on one of the
elements which plays havoc with flair and lowers contrast and makes for
the hardest to print black and white negatives I've ever delt with. A
white backdrop might be what brings out the worst in this lens at least
if it's a lemon which seems to be it's favorite flavour. Looking through
the lens with a point source seems to even elude detection to the non
super expert.
And there are two versions of this lens the thick and the thin and I
forget which is better and which I had. Perhaps such a lens would be
useful for shooting punchy slide film as most slide films are and could
use some taming. You'd get an effect perhaps which would appear to have
more integrity then one of those contrast lowering filters or other
degrading filters. Diffusion or fog.
Come to think of it if anyone remembers what that interesting reason was
I'd love a refresh. Perhaps I should hit the anchovies I mean archives.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Message from "Steven Blutter" <steven2244@ameritech.net> ([Leica] 90mm 4.0 for CL question)