Subject: Re: [Leica] DoF, was: Noctilux-M v. Summilux-R
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:59:17 -0800

Simon said:

> Of course your point of practise making perfect is allways true .
> Did it a lot the last few days with kids(again )in candlelit rooms.
> Sometimes even with the brightfinder of the M3 I found it impossible to
see
> the rangefinder patch.I guess if you know where it,s focused at all times
> that will help a lot.<<<<

Hi Simon,
I always look for a highlight in the eyes, on the glasses or whatever
highlight on the face I can see. In some cases it's nothing more than a
faint highlight along a cheek and that becomes the focus point.  Of course
it still comes down to practice and working in available light and not so
available light situations.

> Still I firmly believe that the technical aproach that some use can pay
off
> in some cases and for some. Even in literature from the 30,s one can find
> many nice theoretical articles by Leica on the special properties of their
> lenses.<<<

True, but in reality all the reading and theories on the "greatness of
whatever lens" isn't going to make the picture any better, if the
photographer doesn't have the guts to shoot wide open in the first place. We
see it often said ....."I like to stop down to f4-5.6 or 8!" Big deal! So
much for the theories of the lens having great character in available light,
anti-flair effect etc. wide open!

> Why not look into those?
> Especially amateurs like me who have a technical interest love those
details
> and for them it is one of the reasons to get a Leica to complement their
> stuff.<<<

I don't have any problem with anyone reading the techie stuff as we have
people on Leica lists who are more interested in how many twinkies per mm
than the actual use of the lens to take / make pictures.

I suppose my problem is, I love shooting pictures of almost any subject
"other than weddings" ;-) And have always done so with little or no
understanding of the technical aspect of the lens, as my prime interest has
always been...." how fast is it?" That's always been the criteria and will
be for buying, more than the contrast one lens to another.

As usual I acknowledge and appreciate what I've learned on the screen of
technical aspects in Leica lenses and found it interesting, but its never
influenced me to buy one lens over another if it isn't faster than what I'm
using.

ted

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] DoF, was: Noctilux-M v. Summilux-R)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] DoF, was: Noctilux-M v. Summilux-R)