Subject: Re: [Leica] re: most important person at a wedding?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:09:22 -0800

Hi Other Ted, ;-)
>>Brings me back 50 years ago when I did those "misery days" of shooting -
sometimes > two in one day.  And three or four on some weekends.  Holding
the 4X5 Linhof in one
> hand, the huge strobe in the other, a ton of battery on one shoulder and a
wallet of sheet > film holders over the other.<<<

Well my friend it's a form of photography we both experienced many times
compared to some of these young guys around here. :-)

And like you, I hated shooting the damn things as they took all day
Saturday,  I'd  shoot a Roman Catholic one in the morning and a Protestant
in the afternoon.  My real interest during fall wedding season was to be
shooting the pro football teams so I hated weddings even more so that time
of the year. :-)

We used those big Multiblitz III wet cell power packs that weighed more than
a case of beer and I was always reaching up high with the strobe gun to get
away from shadows on the wall behind, but weighed down on the off side with
the strobe and a Speed Graphic or a Crown Graphic on the other.

We used film magazines with 12 sheets and the leather bag on the side where
you slid the exposed sheet out into the bag and flipped it to the back of
the set and when you finished the 12 you put the slide in and changed the
magazine.

A few times I put 24 exposures on one mag! Need I say more about the deep do
doo later? ;-)

>>> But looking back, it was a good learning experience. <<<

It was very much so, despite at the time we didn't appreciate it nor what
lay before us in the ensuing years. Which in reality still weren't so bad
either, at least we made it this far with wonderful photo memories along the
way.

And to you my not so far away friend, lets see if we can't get a hand shake
in during this New Year before us, certainly as soon as we get nice warm
comfort weather to do it. Did you have any thought of coming to Victoria for
the LHSA Spring shoot? Should be a fun thing, as I understand the folks who
attend are "picture takers." ;-)

The very best for the New Year may it be Healthy and Happy through out the
12 months. All the best to you and family.

kindest regards,
ted

Replies: Reply from "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@charter.net> (Re: [Leica] re: most important person at a wedding?)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] re: most important person at a wedding?)