Subject: Re: [Leica] The amazing Leicaflex SL
From: "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:17:59 +0800

Dear SL luggers :)

i have a question to ask here (and its genuine). Not being familiar with
Leica's SLRs, pray educate a 28 yr old of the decadent internet / video
games / digital everything generation on the advantages of this early Leica
SLR as compared to say.....a Nikon Fm2 / FM3a, which looks every bit as
robust to me as manual cameras go, with added capabilities, other than the
fact the SL comes from a particular German camera company and has a longer
legacy? :) Or, wat can the SL do that my whiz-bang
all-everything-if-u-want-it-to Canon EOS 1v film SLR cannot?

Don't get me wrong. All my personal photo projects and photography work are
done with a Leica M6 and a M3, and i certainly appreciate the value of a
well crafted all mechanical precision tool. But in the case of the Leica Ms,
they buy me advantages that my SLRs, film or digital, don't have - the
whisper quiet shutter, small discreet unobstrusive size, excellent M glass
even when wide open with a unique signature that i prefer over my Japanese
lenses, the simple and elegant use and feel of an accurate rangefinder and
well made robust body.

Where is the magic of the SL compared to say, the 1v, which itself is fully
weather sealed against the elements and robust with a all metal casing, 100%
bright viewfinder? You can switch the 1v to manual mode, and thereafter
manually set ISO, aperture and shutter speeds manually, so the electronics
definitely don't get in the way. Or to put it another way, why not a Leica
R6.2 or a Nikon Fm2 / Fm3a if i really want a fully manual SLR?

btw i understand the part about wanting to use Leica lenses (in which case
the choice of camera bodies is only really those from Leica..). I'm trying
to see the differences in the camera body itself..........

boon hwee