Subject: Re: [Leica] Fw: [Large Format] Beth Keiser Shoots B&W 4x5 For Campaign Coverage
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:20:46 -0800

On 1/29/04 6:41 AM, "grduprey@rockwellcollins.com"
<grduprey@rockwellcollins.com> wrote:

> Mark
>
> Wow, that was short for you. ;-)
>
> Anyway I also do not care for Canon cameras.  A bit of a observation, last
> weekend when we were up in Minneapolis, we were at a Indian pow wow
> demonstration and I noticed one of the local press shooting (I assume he
> was from the local press).  Out of curiosity, I got a look at his camera
> setup, it was either a Nikon or Canon DSLR, Damn! it looked like it was the
> size of one of the old 4x5 press cameras!  With the external flash, and
> various power packs/storage devices, this rig would have made a 8x10 look
> small and portable.  I looked at my M6 and just smiled, if I need prints
> fast, I can just go to the local 1 hr and get it processed.  Even with the
> M and a R I was better off as far as size and weight alone.  Every once in
> a while I think about getting a DSLR, after looking at what this guy was
> dealing with I think I'll pass.
>
> Gene

Sounds to me like he had one of those Kodak bodies which use Nikon or Canon
glass (not both at the same time). Those are about five grand at least and I
think at least one of them is full frame and others close to it. An
acquaintance of mine has one and it weights a ton. I think they all do.
DSLR's have gotten a lot smaller and more compact fast in the last 3 years
though.
Those Kodak's dominated about 4 or 5 years ago  and as they produce fine
results these people are not going to just trade them in if they are not
rich.

When the new Nikon 5000 scanner comes out in a month or so with the full
rollfilm  feeder I'm going to find myself shooting a lot more 35mm film and
a lot of that will be Leica M. 5 blocks down the street is a Kinko's who can
run my film in 20 minutes uncut for a buck and change. The way I look at it
that's a cup of coffee away from being instant.
I also say that because I'm dying to use the new 90 f4 Elmar in my studio.
And outdoors. It may be for awhile I'll be letting C41 replace my Xtol as
I'm trying to get my commercial act together and just a workflo was they
call it going in high gear.
http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte/msystem/objektive/makro/index_e.html

Mark Rabiner
Photography