Subject: Re: [Leica] digital in low light
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:04:20 +0100 (MET)

I shot sychronized skating for two years using film (Fujicolor 1600). It
worked ... kind of. I had to dump a large amount of good compositions
because I just didn't have the fast shutter speeds I needed.

Got tired of that. Went over to Nikon D100, jacked up the exposure to
Nikon's HI-2 (approx: EI 6400) and now I get 1/500 @ 5.6. I can live with
that. Now I only have to concentrate on good compositions, the other
variables (shutter/aperture) are right there. I suppose I could even go
with "f8 and be there" at 1/250 but I get sharper pictures at 1/500.

"Grainy"? Sure. Fujicolor Press 1600 was too. Nothing new there. The
quality of digital beats film though. I just can't get film fast enough
for this event. With digital it's a breeze. ... Not to mention the
white-balance settings (but to be fair, Fuji is really forgiving) AND ...
no scanning, no dust (over a year, no dust on the sensor ... knock on
wood). The shots are up within hours of the event. Time = money.

Low light? Digital is the ONLY way to go for me. And I'm pretty good at
squeezing the last rays out of Neopan 1600 with an M. But noone is paying
me to do that :)

Daniel