Subject: Re: [Leica] Reasons to use film
From: "David Rodgers" <davrodgers@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:06:48 -0800

Ted,

You wrote:

> If you have a shooter with a brilliant eye to see magical
> moments is he/she not going to record the same thing whether using digi or
> film?

That's a great questions. And I think the assumed answer is, yes. But I'm
questioning a little the presumed similarities between film and digital
photography. Any time you substitute something into a workflow it isn't the
same workflow.

What got me thinking about this is the portrait on the cover of Strand's
book. Someone posted it a few days back as an example of duotones. That
photograph has always impressed me. I can think of dozens of other
photographs from great photographers that have impacted me over the years.

I wonder if the advent of digital photography isn't changing the whole
qualitative aspect of photography. Perhaps even lowering the value of images
in general. It's sort of like an e-mail versus a hand written letter. The
latter, to me, will always have more inherent value, regardless of what the
words say. Because the author put more effort into creating it. I could be
completely wrong. But right now I'm thinking it through. Because I'm trying
to decide whether to commit to digital or film photography. It's one or the
other, cuz I can't do both.

BTW, I'm not speaking of all types of photography. Digital makes complete
sense for some things. I'm trying to decide if it makes sense for what I
want to accomplish.

DaveR

Message from "David Rodgers" <davrodgers@msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Reasons to use film)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Reasons to use film)