Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Embedded Brit journalists will receive Iraq Campaign medal
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 19:13:13 -0500

I understand a handful of individuals, who found themselves in
situations where they put down the camera or note pad and either picked
up a gun, or wounded soldiers, to save their own lives and those of the
men around them, receiving citations afterwards. (Although I don't know
that accepting the citations is appropriate.) But the idea of a
government giving a 'campaign' ribbon or medal to all the journalists
who covered a campaign is really repugnant...The media is NOT supposed
to be an arm of the military. And even beyond ethics, there's the very
real question of of whether having it known that a government views the
media as an arm of the military will result in more reporters and
cameramen and women being intentionally targeted.

B. D.