Subject: [Leica] buyer beware - some facts
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:50:47 -0800

If I were to sell (as I do) items on consignment, I would not pay the
original owner until the buyer notifies me that he is satisfied with the
transaction. No reputable dealer or reseller would do any different.

The buyer should have used an escrow service in order to protect himself.
As much as we trust one another it is a good policy to establish terms of
purchase beforehand. An escrow service would have avoided all the chagrin.
If the seller refuses to accommodate a customer for such a large
expenditure, then look elsewhere.

The police will not get involved as it is a civil matter. The dealer
delivered the goods. If the goods are flawed, that is a matter to be
ascertained and argued. If there is a legitimate claim then the buyer's only
recourse is suing the seller. Small claims court would not be the venue as
the amount in question is higher than most courts will allow. Lets hear from
Louis Nizers on the LUG on these points.

Joe Codispoti

Replies: Reply from "Keith R. Wessel" <keith@wbalaw.com> (Re: [Leica] buyer beware - some facts)