Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] epson digital RF report pages
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:14:01 -0600

I don't buy this excuse.  If Leica came out with this camera for the same
or slightly more you would then complain it did not have an 11 or greater
Megapixel sensor, AND no 1x factor.

As justification for this statement, just look back to the M7 and MP.
Everyone was crying about the M series being terribly out of date and no
auto exposure and electronic shutter.  The M7 was announced and Boy did the
critics jump on Leica for abandoning their traditional mechanical cameras.
My Gosh!  It even takes a whole 2 seconds to be ready to shoot after it has
been turned on, The world will never survive! (Heck it takes me more than
two seconds to get the camera up to my eye and even begin to decide what I
want to shoot.).  The world of M photography was now doomed, the
reliability and quality of the M had just been dumped into the depths of
throw away cameras.

Then we had, and still have those who have cried about the M series being
cheapened ever since the M3 went out of production.  They cried to Leica to
bring back the all mechanical, no battery, no plastic anything, old style
shutter dial, old style rewind knob camera.  Leica brought out the MP to
quell the cries.  What happened?  Everybody started complaining this was a
Leica advertising scheme to justify making a backward 50 year old out of
date camera and charge more money for it.  I guess Leica's mistake was to
leave the meter and battery in the camera for those who still wanted a
built in meter.

The pattern is becoming very clear here, They give us what we want and we
still complain.  Another company gives us a facsimile of what we want and
we praise it as being the next best thing to ___________ (Fill in the
blank).

No I don't worship Leica, but I do get tired of hearing complaints when all
they do is give us what we ask for.  Yes I can use the delete key, but even
that wears out with use.

Gene

                      Henning Wulff
                      <henningw@archiphoto.com>           To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  RE: Re: [Leica] epson digital RF report pages
                      -alto.ca.us

                      03/11/2004 10:45 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

At 9:25 AM -0600 3/11/04, grduprey@rockwellcollins.com wrote:
>What I find amazing is the 1.53x  lens factor.  None of you out there who
>were just a few weeks ago saying if Leica comes out with a M Digital with
>less than a 1x lens factor it would be Totally unacceptable, are not
>complaining one bit about Epson/Cosina doing it.  Not One Complaint.  The
>only comment so far on this is I can live with it.  Interesting...  If
>Leica had done this very same thing right now, you would be screaming and
>calling for a revolt and overthrow of the company.
>
>Gene

If they charge $6000 or more for it, yes.

For $2500, or probably less than $2000 street price for the RD-1, I
can live with more compromises.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design