Subject: [Leica] Re: Nathan's PAW 18: Feria de Abril
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun May 9 08:44:51 2004

Hi Felix,

You are absolutely right--the Feria has a lot of horses and horse-driven
carriages, and it is an incredibly colorful event. I shot a total of 6
rolls of film: two B&W and four E6. I am in the process of scanning the
color slides as we speak.

But for the PAW, I chose the B&W images for a couple of reasons;

- I had scanned them first
- more importantly, for me the main attraction of Spain in general and
Seville in particular are the people. And as I look at the color images
I shot, I find them very good (well, some of them, at least)--but I feel
that the color shots are those made by an observer, whereas the B&W
images look like they were made by a participant. For example, I have
color images of women dancing La Sevillana, but they do not have the
same impact as the B&W image I posted.

In any event, I am working on a dedicated Seville site, and the Feria
will be a big part of it. Once it is up, I will of course announce it
here, and then you will be able to make your own judgement about the
relative merits of color vs. B&W as it applies to my photography.

The manzanilla was no problem; I can see how one can get pretty drunk on
it, as it is very easy to drink, but I have many years' training, and we
were also eating the whole time.

Un saludo cordial,
Nathan