Subject: [Leica] Did a Single Photograph or Two Stop the War In Viet Nam?
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon May 10 20:26:23 2004

At 07:44 PM 5/10/04 -0400, Buzz Hausner wrote:
>I gasp in disbelief that Marc Small should only be partly correct in his
>analysis.  What really brought American opinion to view the War in Viet
>Nam with revulsion was not the action of the students...indeed, I was an
>active protester...it was our mothers who finally stood up and said (in
>essence), "Hell, No!  Not with my boy you don't"  It wasn't photographs
>of terrified, naked children, nor of Vietnamese executioners that caused
>our mothers' to wonder for what their sons died, it was the broadcast
>news film and tape of Americans fighting in the jungles, Americans
>screaming in pain, and Americans coming home dead.
==========================

Buzz

I am sorry to add to your repiratory ailments, but read the Gallup and
Harris polls in 1974 and 1975:  there was a positive and decided majoirty
in favor of "winning" the Viet-Nam War, whatever that meant;.

My own mother and father wished that I would go to Viet-Nam, and my father
went to his grave regretting that I was "denied" the opportunity.   I chose
my own pace:  by the time I was commissioned, they were pulling all the
troops back, so I missed this epic opportunity to particpate in a war in
which I did not believe.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!