Subject: [Leica] Did a Single Photograph or Two Stop the War In Viet Nam?
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue May 11 17:12:20 2004

At 01:20 PM 5/11/04 +0200, Daniel Ridings wrote:

>I won the lottery (got number 271 ... I wonder why I'll never forget
>that). He never did say what he thought if I got a lower number. But you
>should have seen his face beam the next time I met him. We both had
>followed the bingo-lottery on the radio.

My draft number was 317 and my ROTC papers were there to be signed.  I sat
down with my retired-Army father and had a really great talk with him over
this, a relative rarity between us.  Dad finally suggested that I do what I
thought best so, of course, I signed up for ROTC and ended up missing
Viet-Nam by a matter of months.  I ended up with four years active duty,
four in the National Guard, and twelve in the Army Reserve and retired as a
telephone Colonel.  But, then, no one in my family has ever been drafted;
we are the idiots who volunteer.  (I even have a third-great-grandfather
who fought through the Revolution and who then signed up again in the War
of 1812 at age 73 or the like;  they issued him a rifle and had him on
guard duty for three years.)

I was in college from 1968 until 1972 so I was there during the Kent State
protests and the like.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!