Subject: [Leica] Best known photo ?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue May 11 23:57:31 2004

At 7:23 PM -0400 5/11/04, Marc James Small wrote:
>At 06:43 AM 5/11/04 +0100, Gerry Walden wrote:
>>I am with Tom 100% on this, and can echo the sentiments expressed as I
>>too was in Europe at that time (and, of course, I still am). And nothing
>>has changed over the years, the feelings here are still pretty much the
>>same!
>
>Gerry
>
>This thread was not discussing the attitudes of Europeans or Canadians
>toward the Viet-Nam War but the impact these pictures had on US attitudes
>and, bluntly, the Gallup and Harris polls through 1973 to 1975 show that
>the majority of the US populace support a "winning" strategy in Viet-Nam --
>that is, the folks here didn't want a "limited" war but were willing to
>support guerre a la outrance to drive the North Viet-Namese out of
>business.  These pictures were viewed by Middle America as the sort of
>thing the distrusted "left-wing" media came up with and were not viewed in
>Peoria as being representative of the situation in South-East Asia.
>
>Marc
>
>msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

I wasn't in Peoria at the time, but on the West Coast I saw and heard
little sentiment in support of the war in the mid 70's. Support was
fairly strong in the mid 60's, poor in the late 60's and gone by the
mid 70's. Mind you, my main input was the San Francisco Bay area,
which was definitely not Peoria.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design