Subject: [Leica] Best Lenses To Take To Honolulu
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Tue May 18 13:40:15 2004

I usually carry a small over the shoulder bag with 2 lenses, 10 rolls or
more of film and a camera with lens in the bag and one out for immediate
use.  I don't have to imagine what a 560 is like to carry all day, I have
done it many times.  This lens is best used with the shoulder stock that
comes with it as the lens is very front heavy and with the mount way back
near the camera (for use with the shoulder stock), it does not balance on a
tripod very well.

Gene

|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           Thinkofcole@aol.com                          |
|         |           Sent by:                                     |
|         |           lug-bounces+grduprey=rockwellcollins.com@leic|
|         |           a-users.org                                  |
|         |                                                        |
|         |                                                        |
|         |           05/18/2004 03:15 PM                          |
|         |           Please respond to Leica Users Group          |
|         |                                                        |
|---------+-------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                         |
  |       To:       lug@leica-users.org                                                     |
  |       cc:                                                                               |
  |       Subject:  [Leica] Best Lenses To Take To Honolulu                                 |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

      This is really basic, and maybe it's me, but the days are long gone
when you can wander around a strange city with lots of expensive camera
equipment
around your neck and feel safe.
      Once you step outside your hotel, whether or not you're carrying a
camera, you're a tourist [with money in your pocket] and fair game for all
sorts
of low lifes. Without even touching you, a sneak thief with a knife or
razor or
a kid on a motorcycle can relieve you of your Leica or handbag and be gone
in
seconds before you even realize the loss.
      Based on personal experience,  unless you're a pro or have someone to

lug your stuff , I would take no more than would fit in a small canvas bag:
camera, a lens, perhaps a table-top tripod and as much film as you want.
Travel
light.
      As for taking a 560mm lens, I have a 400mm, which is enormous [and
heavy], so a 560 mm lens must be humongous, best used with a heavy tripod.
Imagine
lugging around 5 pounds of a deadweight lens all day, every day plus a big
tripod and a camera and some film and something to put it all in. -- bob
cole