Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 27, Issue 321
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Mon Jun 21 11:52:01 2004

Frank Dernie wrote:

> We built a 4WD F1 car in 1981/2. It used 6 wheels in
> total, two at the
> front and four driven wheels as close together as
> possible at the rear.
> It had several advantages such as rear wing
> position, frontal area and
> the possibility of running full length "skirts" (it
> was ground effect
> era). It was the speed of this prototype which
> caused the change in the
> rules banning 4WD.
> I do not think it would have been possible to get it
> down to the weight
> limit though.
> Frank

My favourite auto racing personality, Andy Granatelli,
was behind the design of a couple of 4WD Indy 500
cars, back in the 60s.

While none ever finished a race, and they were retired
with mechanical troubles of various kinds, USAC also
banned 4WD for what seem like rather murky reasons.
One wonders how different racing would be with 4WD --
inherently safer for drivers and fans alike, I'd
guess.

Granatelli's autobiography, "They Call Me Mister 500,"
is one of the great American rags-to-riches stories,
IMHO.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 27, Issue 321)