Subject: Nathan's Canon (WAS: [Leica] PAWS 27 and 28)
From: langhans at compwrx.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon Jul 19 18:21:43 2004

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:54:09 +0200 (MEST)
> From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
> Subject: Re: Nathan's Canon (WAS: [Leica] PAWS 27 and 28)
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> > I agree Leo on the Nikon over the Canon.  Unfortunately there is no
> such
> > animal to allow Leica lenses on the Nikon. :-(
>
> Gene,
>
> I doubt that you'll be able to tell the difference between a Leica lens
> and a Tamron lens when it comes to digital. The sharpness is more due
> software than to optical characteristics.

I agree.  The school just got a digital Rebel with the standard 18-55
zoom. I have been doing a few tests comparing it to my Leica glass and
film.  The digital shots were all in Raw mode.  I shot a test pattern
(Yeah, I know....) using the Rebel set at 35mm and then attached my
Leica 35/2 R lens to the Rebel. All shots were on a tripod.  I cannot
tell the difference in any of the shots in the center or at the edge at
f-4, 8 or 11.  I am convinced that at least at 6MP, digital is the great
equalizer.

Film is a different story.  I shot Astia, not know for its fine grain.
The film was far superior than the digital.  Hope the digital back for
the R is better.

I am working on a web page to show my testing, but am leaving for a two
week vacation Thursday.

Aram