Subject: [Leica] RE: HCB memorial edition
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Sat Aug 7 14:01:38 2004

There was a Cartier-Bresson special edition Leica M6
camera made some years back -- just one single camera
that was auctioned off for a charitable cause in 1998.
I think it raised well over $20K. The camera had a
facsimile of his signature reproduced on it.

As far as I know, none of his own personally used
Leicas have been sold, at least not obviously. Unlike
DDD and Eisenstadt, I don't think C-B was interested
in indulging Leica gear heads with a peek at his tool.

And C-B did indeed favour collapsible lenses. Most
pictures showing him with M in hand have a 50/2
collapsible Summicron on board. Pictures of him just
prior to the M era show what appears to be some kind
of 50/1.5 on his LTM camera.

But as Lance Armstrong has written, "It's not about
the bike."

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal