Subject: [Leica] more questions
From: banacloj at mac.com (Juan Gea-Banacloche)
Date: Thu Aug 12 18:00:17 2004

I would not recommend a film camera to anyone interested in photography
today; I would recommend digital.

I practice film photography as a hobby and I see it, as someone else
has mentioned, as a thing of the past. If one wants to "paint with
light", digital is the way to start.

I bought my first Leica (a Leicaflex SL) in 2002; the M3 last year. I
did because I had always wanted the cameras, not because I thought they
were logical decisions or the "best tools" for anything. Again,
photography for me is something I enjoy, not a craft, nor a job (if it
were, I might think Leica is the right tool for something, but I
honestly don't know what). I don't take my digital camera, it is
gathering dust on the shelf. But not because I think it is not
practical. I just enjoy the whole process of shooting and developing
but it is frustrating to ruin the negatives or find out you have two
keepers out of 36. I don't pretend it makes sense. If one enjoys it
(and it does not hurt anybody) it should be OK.

Leica film photography may be on its way to become something like Minox
photography: an oddity. I am sure there will be film available for many
years, but a Leica now is a hard sell unless the customer asks for a
film camera (now, if the person wants a film camera, you still have all
the arguments you have always had plus the promise of a digital future
for the best lenses ever...)

Juan