Subject: [Leica] Re: was Leni Oh gawd in heaven, now old photos
From: woc2 at earthlink.net (Bill O'Connell)
Date: Fri Aug 27 07:48:18 2004

:->

I almost hate to bring this up because it involves photography but, last
night my bro-in-law showed me some prints he made last week.  Some years ago
I came across some 4x5 glass plates from the late 1800s and we put them
aside thinking 'some day' we would do 'something' with them.  Well some 15
or 20 years later, long after I had forgotten about them, someday came.  I
was amazed at the quality of the contact prints after over 100 years.
Amazing.  No, don't know what kind of camera or lens, but am comfortable
that it was not a M7 with a NOCT lens....
Last weekend he and his wife went to Delaware where the photos were taken
and to no one's surprise many of the buildings are gone but the park areas
are still there.  One of the museums is interested in getting them for their
historic archives, which sounds about right to us.
Got us to thinking what our digital thinks will be like in 100 years.  The
plates were easy to put in the Bessler and produce prints, but will our
PC/MAC of the future allow us to slip in the CD or DVD from 2004 with the
same ease?  Think of the things stored on 8" or 5" floppies, even 3"
floppies are now going away.  Think it is time to go find a film recorder,
one of the PC to film devices that seem to be going away as well.
Bill