Subject: [Leica] Extra photo bag on the plane
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Oct 5 19:41:14 2004

At 05:57 PM 10/5/2004, you wrote:

>Is this a real national rule or is it per airline does anybody know?

Actually what the rule (passed through the influence of ASMP) says is that
you can take an extra carry-on photo bag through security.  It doesn't say
anything about getting it on to the plane.  That is up to the individual
carrier and, ultimately, up to the last person you see before you get on
the plane.  I've had them take my extra bag away at the door many
times.  At least that bag I know I will claim at the door of the airplane
when I leave.  Checked luggage you may never see again.  What I do is carry
a roll-on Tamrac photo bag and a LowePro backpack.  If they demand that I
give them one bag, it's the roll-on which is well-padded enough to stand a
drop from the conveyor belt without too much damage.  I take the TSA
approved locks and lock it before they take it.

Check the airline's web site for weights and sizes.  They vary for each
airline.  Usually, the bag that you put overhead can weigh only 28
pounds.  I've gotten very good at lifting heavy bags as if they weigh
nothing.  Workouts at the gym help a lot.

If you are female, you can carry an extra (3rd) bag and call it a
purse.  What I do is wear a vest and a waist pack and stuff them so full
that I can barely close the seat belt around me.

Getting there is no fun anymore.  Have fun anyway, but don't joke with the
security people!

Tina