Subject: [Leica] Digital "crop factor"
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Oct 15 18:50:21 2004

On 10/15/04 4:06 PM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> typed:

> I understand what you're saying, Luis. But the irony is that virtually
> none of us can begin to take advantage of the capabilities of our Leica
> optics, particularly if they're the latest generation of lenses, and if
> we're  shooting hand-held, which is what our Leicas were designed for.
> The reality is that other manufacturers make lenses that will get us
> images that are just as good as the images our Leica lenses will get us.
> We make like the particular fingerprint of a given Leica lens, rather
> than that of another manufacturer's lens, but that's a matter more of
> taste than optics.
>
> But you're of course right...all of this comes down to a matter of
> taste, age, background, and any number of personal factors. I, for
> instance, love the look of Tri-X exposed at 800 iso; many other people
> may abhor that look, preferring the slowest, finest grain film they can
> obtain. It's all a matter of taste.
>
> Best wishes
>
> B. D.
>

>incredibly unnecessary large wasteful snippet<

I irony of the Leica M camera system with its pie in the sky optics designed
for a camera body which would seemingly be mainly designed for hand held use
is not lost on those who don't use them.

The people who DO use them don't seem to notice the irony.
Some of these people own a tripod.
And are not aware of the law that says then when you need to shoot at night
and get depth of field you are not allowed to shoot 35mm.
But must only use larger formats.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon