Subject: [Leica] Digital "crop factor"
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Oct 15 18:52:30 2004

On 10/15/04 4:06 PM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> typed:

> I understand what you're saying, Luis. But the irony is that virtually
> none of us can begin to take advantage of the capabilities of our Leica
> optics, particularly if they're the latest generation of lenses, and if
> we're  shooting hand-held, which is what our Leicas were designed for.
> The reality is that other manufacturers make lenses that will get us
> images that are just as good as the images our Leica lenses will get us.
> We make like the particular fingerprint of a given Leica lens, rather
> than that of another manufacturer's lens, but that's a matter more of
> taste than optics.
>
> But you're of course right...all of this comes down to a matter of
> taste, age, background, and any number of personal factors. I, for
> instance, love the look of Tri-X exposed at 800 iso; many other people
> may abhor that look, preferring the slowest, finest grain film they can
> obtain. It's all a matter of taste.
>
> Best wishes
>
> B. D.
>

>incredibly unnecessary large wasteful snippet<

Or when walking along a sandy seashore make the wise chose of using slow
film and shooting hand held at f11 1000th of a second and getting the split
ends on the ends of the grains of sand or bathing suits.

Some of these people don't crank out endless 4x6 snapshots.
5x7's or 8x10's even.

But are standardized at 11x14s and 16x20s and larger.

13x19's or 17x22's!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon