Subject: [Leica] Re: Future R Plan
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Sat Oct 16 17:54:02 2004

Frank Filippone wrote:

> Stephen and I have been devotees of taking that
> superb glass, and instantly
> creating demand by offering it in other SLR lens
> mounts. The competition can
> not compare and will not try to compete on the
> image quality, although
> marketing hype might increase.  They would
> make money on this approach,
> without a lot of costs nor time spent in
> "developing" new technologies.

You are entirely correct that Leica makes more money
on lenses than on cameras.

But I'm not sure how many dedicated high-end Nikon,
Canon etc. shooters today would sacrifice autofocus in
exchange for the merits of Leica's optics.

So let's say Leica would need to offer their optics in
other brands' mounts but WITH autofocus .

Wouldn't they in fact be better off (competition-wise)
going all the way: bite the bullet, make their own AF
body, thereby competing toe-to-toe with the Japanese
cameras while keeping their optical advantage to
themselves?

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Re: Future R Plan)