Subject: [Leica] Re: Future R Plan
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Oct 17 01:41:22 2004

On 10/16/04 5:53 PM, "Emanuel Lowi" <lowiemanuel@yahoo.ca> typed:

> Frank Filippone wrote:
>

>> Stephen and I have been devotees of taking that
>> superb glass, and instantly
>> creating demand by offering it in other SLR lens
>> mounts. The competition can
>> not compare and will not try to compete on the
>> image quality, although
>> marketing hype might increase.  They would
>> make money on this approach,
>> without a lot of costs nor time spent in
>> "developing" new technologies.
>>

> You are entirely correct that Leica makes more money
> on lenses than on cameras.
>
> But I'm not sure how many dedicated high-end Nikon,
> Canon etc. shooters today would sacrifice autofocus in
> exchange for the merits of Leica's optics.
>
> So let's say Leica would need to offer their optics in
> other brands' mounts but WITH autofocus .
>
> Wouldn't they in fact be better off (competition-wise)
> going all the way: bite the bullet, make their own AF
> body, thereby competing toe-to-toe with the Japanese
> cameras while keeping their optical advantage to
> themselves?
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal

Many high end Canon and Nikon shooters also know how often they've got the
AF turned OF. Which is often.

They also know how they have to keep up the appearance of having the latest
gear and that the stupid editors  and art directors feel they are in the
running. They think AF is a necessity. Not the photographers themselves.
Many of whom also shoot Hasselblad, sheet film and a slew of other cameras
(Rangefinder) which are not AF and somehow the pictures come out and even
have a feeling of spontaneity.

They are also aware of the percentage of their body of work which was
created before AF even came out and does not appear to be any less cutting
edge capturing action as the stuff they are doing now.
Even with the AF turned ON!

Nikon shooter especially will have a slew of their glass being AI not AF.
Older manual focus gems they'd not part with and have no reason to.

The Canon users I'm sure could also do this if they want to put it on a 70's
vintage camera. Not the EOS mindset but who knows?!

I'd love a Canon F1 or rangefinder camera.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/